In the era of men’s grooming, keeping your hair clean and stylish can be difficult if you aren’t familiar with hairstyling products or how to work with your natural hair type. However, it’s important that you learn how to keep your hair clean because clean hair makes you look better and more professional, whether you’re at the office or attending an event with friends or family. To help get you started with your journey to keeping cleaner hair, try these 10 tips for men that will teach you how to keep your hair clean in style and make sure it stays that way every day.
1. Wash your scalp, not just your hair
Many men neglect their scalp when they wash their hair, but this is a big mistake. Scalp oil, sweat, and styling products can all mix to create an unpleasant scent. Not washing your scalp can also lead to hair loss. So how do you make sure your scalp stays clean?
First of all, you need to wash with a shampoo that contains an active ingredient called salicylic acid.
2. Moisturize your mane
Moisturizing your hair is a great way to keep it looking healthy. It also helps with preventing scalp dryness, which can lead to dandruff, irritation, or even infection. Moisturize your hair as needed to keep it looking clean and healthy!
3. Always wear a hat
One of the most important things you can do to maintain a healthy head of hair is to always wear a hat. Always. Hats are great for so many reasons, but one of the major benefits is that they protect your hair from UV rays, which can damage it. The sun contains infrared rays that heat up your scalp and hair follicles, causing them to age prematurely.
4. Use a leave-in conditioner
Make sure to use a leave-in conditioner to keep your hair looking healthy. You want to make sure that the product you use is designed for men’s hair. These products are typically more powerful than women’s products and will be able to help control your mane. A leave-in conditioner will also help control any frizz in your hair, making it look clean and styled all day long.
5. Switch between shampoos
- If you are in the shower, avoid shampooing for as long as possible to allow your scalp to soak up the natural oils on your skin. This will help your hair stay healthy.
- Switch between shampoos like dandruff shampoo, clarifying shampoo, volumizing shampoo, etc.
6. Avoid excessive brushing
Brushing your hair too much can lead to more split ends, which will in turn lead to more breakage. Too much brushing also causes damage to the hair follicles which can lead to balding. Limit your brushing of your hair (especially when it is wet) by using a wide-tooth comb instead.
7. Switch between brands
- Dove Men+Care – Dove has a wide variety of products that are designed to help keep your hair looking healthy, including shampoos and conditioners.
- Head & Shoulders – Head & Shoulders features a few different types of shampoos that are designed to be tough on scalp issues like dandruff or itching, but gentle on hair.
8. Experiment with products and techniques
- Make sure you wash your hair every two days.
- Use a leave-in conditioner to help with frizz and flyaways
- Shampoo your hair in sections, starting at the back of the head and working your way forward to avoid any tangles
- Condition your hair before washing it with shampoo to soften it up, making it easier to comb through
9. Consider cuts, colors, trims, etc.
- Get your hair cut regularly.
- Trim your beard to make it easier to clean the hair from your face.
- Take a shower before you go to sleep so the sweat doesn’t get in your hair overnight.
10. Don’t be afraid to seek professional help
If you’re finding it hard to maintain a clean hairstyle, then don’t be afraid to seek professional help. A hair stylist can point you in the right direction and make sure that your locks are always looking great. Try at-home treatments: You might also find some tips for keeping your hair clean from an at-home treatment or even just regular shampoos. Remember: One of the best ways to get rid of dirt is by taking a shower!